Looking for a fun holiday snack treat that’s easy to make and tastes like Christmas? These coconut popcorn snowballs are great for parties and for giving out as gifts.
Right now we don’t have a lot of snow on the ground thanks to a recent rainy spell, but if I peek out my office window, I can spy a few flakes trying to make their way into our yard.
As soon as there’s enough for a snowball fight, I think that’s what we’ll be doing — or at least another trip the toboggan hill.
And after a day out in the snow? You definitely need a snack, so bust our your favourite hot chocolate recipe and a batch of these fun coconut popcorn snowballs. Yum!
Coconut Popcorn Snowballs
- 2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract
- 8 candy canes or candy cane sticks, about 3-4 inches
- Place a large sheet of wax (or parchment) paper over a work surface. Spread coconut onto paper.
- Spray a large mixing bowl lightly with cooking spray and place popcorn inside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over popcorn and mix well until coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray and press firmly to form into balls. Place balls on coconut and roll and press coconut to coat. While holding popcorn ball, gently press a candy cane into each ball.
- Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap for storage.
Recipe courtesy of the Popcorn Board.